Utah bowhunter attacked by mountain lion

Mountain lion

A Utah bowhunter is lucky to be alive after being attacked by a mountain lion last week. Cody Hardman says he had “just nocked an arrow to begin his hunt for elk” when he heard a growl and then an “unmistakable roar,” the Deseret News reports. Hardman immediately searched the tree line, pulse quickening. At 10’ away, a mountain lion was poised and ready to pounce.

“His eyes were pinned on me, boy,” said Hardman. “They were looking right into my eyes.”

While Hardman attempted to shoot the mountain lion with his arrow, he missed, using up his one chance at self-defense. The cat leaped, landing on Hardman’s chest and knocking him to the ground.

Fortunately, “he didn’t bite,” said Hardman.

Gear Shop - Shop Now

According to the Deseret News, the mountain lion clawed Hardman, charged him several times and left him with a “puncture in his leg” before fleeing. Hardman immediately climbed a tree and called authorities for help, lucky to be alive.

While the attack occurred around 6:40 a.m., roughly three miles east of Kamas, Summit County sheriff’s deputies and officials with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources did not arrive until about 10 a.m., armed and ready to hunt the cat. The search continues and, if found, the mountain lion will be euthanized.

As for Hardman, he’s happy he was able to return to his family and counts himself lucky.

“I mean, that lion was going to tangle if we had to, but he punched a hole in me and went on his way,” said Hardman.

Brady Miller
Brady M. - posted 2 months ago on 09-08-2018 04:01:53 pm
goHUNT Team

Sorry, Jose and Evan. I forgot to drop that report in here about mountain lions and the use of bear spray. Here was the report I was talking about from Montana FWP: http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/lion/lionBearSpray.html

Thanks for the reminder, Jose!

tesseract.cubed
Jose M. - posted 2 months ago on 09-08-2018 09:07:49 am
San Diego, Ca

Brady did you ever find any solid information about the bear spray on big cats?

Brady Miller
Brady M. - posted 2 months ago on 09-02-2018 02:57:14 pm
goHUNT Team

It is sad when anti-hunters jump on these and make very uneducated comments.

Both Dick N. and Pam M. have been blocked and their comments removed due to their language and not being able to have a normal back and forth discussion.

I appreciate people keeping it level. Like what Andrew mentioned, it's sometimes not worth it to go back and forth with those people. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Jerrin L. - posted 2 months ago on 09-02-2018 07:50:50 am

Well said

Andrew T. - posted 2 months ago on 09-02-2018 07:32:42 am

To all my fellow hunters. Those that take the time to acknowledge the uneducated troll on here is going to be a problem. I know how hard it is not to spout off and just destroy someone with facts and studies that we all have paid with money and time to learn. I'm asking and challenging everyone who reads this to pass over the next anti hunter comment. This website is so amazing and full of information lets not let it turn to facebook comment thread let the moderators do their job!! Glad the hunter survived i was hunting that unit this weekend!! HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!!

Josh B. - posted 2 months ago on 08-27-2018 07:35:32 am

I guess I will no longer be reading the comments.
I appreciate folks like Steve Rinella who do a lot of outreach to the non-hunters. The fact is that there are simply more of them then us and it’s incumbent upon us to educate and build bridges.

That being said I appreciated this forum to be a “hunter safe zone”, discussing hunting topics with like minded folks. I think there is a time and place for all discourse. I’m just not too interested in mixing it up here with antagonists.

Anyway to make limit comments to paying members? I guess if you want to put skin in the game I can’t argue with you.
Just sad to this this comment strain here.

Richard D. - posted 2 months ago on 08-24-2018 01:27:23 pm

I don't think they should kill the mountain lion when it is behaving like a mountain lion up in the mountains. Now, when the mountain lion heads to town and starts to act like a mountain lion, then it should be killed. When humans are in the woods, they should take precautions so they don't end up being metabolized by a wolf, mountain lion, or bear. It is a risk we take and the not the mountain lion's fault.

Jerrin L. - posted 2 months ago on 08-23-2018 10:14:17 am

Wow just read this thread never thought I would see such garbage on here.

Vance W. - posted 2 months ago on 08-22-2018 04:38:37 pm
Anthem AZ

@Tommy K, they will euthanize it because its a proven biological fact that once one of these alpha predators, like Bears or African Lions or Cougars, go over the line and attack a person they will repeat the event again and again. The Biologist at the UDWR know this. Next time it might be someone's 4 year old daughter that is out on a hike with her parents that have no other reason to be in the woods other than to enjoy the beauty, that person will likely be killed. So, I guess if you don't care about human life then you'll be yeah, so what.

Nick L. - posted 2 months ago on 08-22-2018 07:56:03 am
Bonner Springs, KS

I agree with you, Kevin. That's why I've been active duty Army since 2001. I would argue people like Pam are not evil, they are ignorant. Although those often go hand in hand. I believe we win the debate by engaging in rational discussion with moderate, open-minded non-hunters. I do this on a regular basis with people I work with or encounter. I certainly respect your approach, and I recognize a comment like the one you made will not impact Pam, but it may resonate with other more rational people who read it.

Kevin G. - posted 2 months ago on 08-22-2018 07:05:56 am
el paso tx

I speak up because evil pervades the earth when men of good conscience stand idly by.

Nick L. - posted 2 months ago on 08-22-2018 06:58:58 am
Bonner Springs, KS

As a community, I believe we hunters should choose to ignore abusive comments that are based on irrational, emotional, and uninformed opinions. We will never gain any ground with a motivated believer who rejects opposing worldviews and perspectives outright. Why waste time and energy to even acknowledge someone like that?

michael_5
Michael G. - posted 2 months ago on 08-21-2018 03:05:53 pm

This post should stir the ashes...a recently concluded 17-year mountain lion study conducted in Northwest Wyoming found the #1 threat to the lion population in this area is the reintroduction of wolves which have been eating lion cubs. Now who do we blame?
I'm just glad the kid came out of this a little beat up but with a great story. Keep hunting Cody, just look up occasionally!

Kevin G. - posted 2 months ago on 08-21-2018 10:17:17 am
el paso tx

I hunt. However I do not want to go around the world collecting trophies. I do it to perfect my ancestral heritage of survival. The grocery store may not always be open. Furthermore, it would be nice to see the day that "Liberal Pukes" are in the wild looking at a bear or lion and try to cuddle that bear and hear them say pretty kitty. Now that would be something to see!

David B. - posted 2 months ago on 08-21-2018 05:30:51 am

What's that Pam? I can't hear you. Please retype your post in all caps like the last one.

On a related note, two Mt. bikers were recently attacked in WA state, one of which died from his injuries. Apparently biking in the mountain lion's home is also a no-no.

James G. - posted 2 months ago on 08-20-2018 08:32:46 pm

Pam M., here's the deal...he was not hunting lions, he was hunting elk. The lion just so happened to prey on him. He could've just as easily been a hiker...or you. To call someone a "WORTHLESS WASTE OF AIR MURDERER", as you so eloquently put it, it just pure and utter ridiculousness.

Now, go back to watching CNN or the Kardashians...

Dan L. - posted 2 months ago on 08-20-2018 08:21:04 pm
Corona de Tucson, AZ

Are anti-hunters also anti-grammar?

Tommy K. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 03:41:57 pm

Why kill the lion for being a lion if that lion wanted him dead he would have been dead and who really knows the real story maybe the hunter seen the lion and tried to take it out of fear and the lion defended its self maybe the hunter bit off more than he could chew leave that lion alone i don't believe it lost its fear of human human lost their fear of the lion

Clayton G. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 01:48:32 pm

For the next GoHunt video, I would like to cage fight old Dickey N.

Brady Miller
Brady M. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 01:47:39 pm
goHUNT Team

Hey everyone. Dick N. is no longer going to be with us to comment. We allow open discussion, but we don't allow those type of comments directed at hunters. He is not an INSIDER member, just registered with the website to comment on these News articles.

Drew M. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 01:18:29 pm

Hey don't knock @Dick N. You have to pay to be a member of gohunt to post on here so if he is willing to pay for a membership and not hunt so I can get better hunting information more power to him LOL.

Michael A. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 01:11:22 pm

Dick N. Shame on you for your improper and excessive use of commas.

James G. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 11:56:24 am

Dick N., I assume you’re another anti-hunter who has neglected to do any research around the benefits to conservation due to hunting. I suppose if you really want to be mad at someone, be mad at the State’s Wildlife Depts for doing their jobs and issuing hunting licenses as the experts in species conservation.

Now, go back to eating that pepperoni pizza you bought from the store where no animals were harmed in the harvesting of that pepperoni...

Tyler K. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 11:53:28 am
Iron, Mn

A lot of us “coward” hunters are the same men and women that will gladly go to the front line and risk their lives to fight for your freedom.

Dan L. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 11:27:41 am
Corona de Tucson, AZ

That's scary. I'm not an expert by any means but the way it's described it almost sounds like it was a defensive attack as if it was defending cubs or something as opposed to predatory. Either way I hope I'm never in that position.

Dan L. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 11:27:43 am
Corona de Tucson, AZ

Brady Miller
Brady M. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 10:08:41 am
goHUNT Team

I believe I remember reading something once about that. But not sure many studies have been done. I'll do some digging on the subject and drop some notes in the comment section if I find anything.

Evan Shaw_10104612204956214
Evan S. - posted 3 months ago on 08-20-2018 07:57:14 am
Athens, Ohio

Anyone know how well bear spray works on Mountain Lions? I'd imagine it's better than nothing, but haven't seen much data on it.