Remington settles class action against defective triggers

Remington Model 700 rifle trigger recall
Photo credit: Gun Digest

Do you own a Remington firearm? Then you’d better read this. Remington just settled a major class action lawsuit that alleged the iconic firearm manufacturer covered up a significant defect in some of its most popular models, which includes over 7.5 million allegedly defective guns. The defect? The guns could fire without the trigger being pulled. goHUNT previously covered the incident here.

This week, a federal judge upheld the settlement that will end the multi-year lawsuit, requiring Remington to pay the plaintiff’s attorneys $12.5 million in fees and replace defective triggers on all of the affected models free of charge, according to CNBC. The settlement has angered many who believe that the company settled in order to sweep the issue under the proverbial rug rather than continue litigation.

According to CNBC, the federal judge’s final approval of the settlement goes against arguments put forth by gun owners, legal experts and nine state attorneys general who “argued that Remington should be required to admit the guns are defective” – a statement missing from the final settlement. However, U.S. District Judge Ortrie D. Smith stood by his decision, saying that “fixing some of the guns is better than risking none at all being fixed” and wrote, “By approving this settlement, the Court facilitates remediation of the alleged defect. That result may save lives and reduce the risk of injury to others.”

The guns covered in the settlement include Remington’s Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, 721, 722 and 725 rifles and the XP-100 bolt-action pistol. People who own these guns can have it outfitted with a new trigger mechanism free of charge; owners of older models (600, 660, 721, 722, 725 and XP-100) can receive a product voucher ranging between $10 and $12.50, according to CNBC.

Click HERE for details on the settlement.

Anthony P. - posted 2 years ago on 03-28-2017 10:21:19 am
Gardnerville,NV

In order to get your gun fixed you have to claim that the gun has fired without pulling the trigger. If you say it has not fired it tells you that the gun is not eligible. At least, that is what it said for my wife's 770. Seems like they are not wanting to take care of all their customers and stop the issue from happening in the future just the ones that have already had something happen in the past. Poor customer service and follow through it seems on this issue.

Brady J. Miller
Brady M. - posted 2 years ago on 03-20-2017 03:03:32 pm
goHUNT Team

Haha! I'm just a guy that loves mule deer. I just love seeing guys have success in the field. It's what I always strive for when writing an article or when I'm on a podcast.

Here's something you might want to take a look at. So if you're hunting a state that is iron sights only, you can look into this method that will allow you to gain some additional accuracy from an open/iron sight muzzy: https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/increased-accuracy-from-an-open-sight-muzzleloader

Todd B. - posted 2 years ago on 03-20-2017 10:06:56 am

Yes Brady, I would surely love some help and expertise. Kimber? Muzzleloader?

Okdistrict7
Robert R. - posted 2 years ago on 03-19-2017 08:57:24 pm
Altus, Ok.

This is why I hunt with an American made Kimber!!!

Todd B. - posted 2 years ago on 03-19-2017 02:50:59 pm

I can't quite figure you out. A legend in mule deer hunting is offering help to me a total nobody. So because of Go Hunt I see some elk hunts in Colorado that are 100% draw in the rut with musseloader. And like a millennial I just looked up what exactly is one. Saw Remington and they say they are awesome. Love to find out the truth. Can a guy learn to shoot one accurately? Also Ca has 29 tags to hunt mule deer in the zone I grew up hunting but had to be muzzleloader w iron sites. I suppose an article on MLs would be in order. Thank you Brady, but I'm really a nobody.

Brady J. Miller
Brady M. - posted 2 years ago on 03-19-2017 01:56:42 pm
goHUNT Team

@Todd - Are you looking for one of those longer range muzzleloaders? If so I'll do some calling around to some of my friends to see what they suggest.

Todd B. - posted 2 years ago on 03-17-2017 06:04:33 pm

I guess I will reconsider that 700 muzzleloader. Does Browning make a muzzleloader. Any recommendations outside R?

Brady J. Miller
Brady M. - posted 2 years ago on 03-17-2017 02:21:10 am
goHUNT Team

Thanks for pointing that out, Anthony. I just tested it on their website and got the same thing. Pretty frustrating.

Anthony P. - posted 2 years ago on 03-16-2017 09:32:34 pm
Gardnerville,NV

Website for the recall doesn't seem to work. You go through the steps and when it is time to choose model number the page doesn't allow you to continue.