MT temporarily suspends hunter ed classes - will impact new people applying for permits
The following is another urgent press release, this time from Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks.
This is important because the suspension of hunter education and bowhunter education classes in Montana has the potential to impact new hunters who want to apply for special permits in upcoming Montana draws.
Due to health concerns for students and volunteers, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is postponing all hunter and bowhunter education classes that are scheduled through March 30, at which point FWP will reassess the situation.
COVID-19 cases have been identified in a handful of communities around the state. Because of the potential spread of COVID-19, several schools and other public buildings where hunter education classes are held have been closed to after-hours use.
Over the course of the next two weeks, FWP staff in coordination with state officials will assess the risk of the potential spread of COVID-19. Once it is deemed safe, FWP will schedule new classes.
FWP staff recognizes this may impact students and their ability to apply for special permits and licenses. FWP is looking into options. This measure is intended to prioritize the safety and health of FWP’s volunteer hunter education instructors and students.
For the latest information on COVID-19, please visit the Governor’s Coronavirus Task Force website at COVID19.mt.gov or the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services website at www.dphhs.mt.gov.
For more information about hunter and bowhunter education classes and schedules, please contact your regional FWP office.
Also, Montana is encouraging all people to apply online
In accordance with guidelines for social distancing related to COVID-19 and to protect the public as well as staff, Fish, Wildlife & Park strongly encourages hunters and anglers to make licensing purchases online at fwp.mt.gov. For those who need assistance with their purchase, please call the FWP licensing center at 406-444-2950 or your regional or area office:
- Region 1 (Kalispell): 752-5501
- Region 2 (Missoula): 542-5500
- Region 3 (Bozeman): 577-7900
- Helena Area Office: 495-3260
- Butte Area Office: 494-1953
- Region 4 (Great Falls): 454-5840
- Lewistown Area Office: 538-4658
- Region 5 (Billings): 247-2940
- Region 6 (Glasgow): 228-3700
- Havre Area Office: 265-6177
- Region 7 (Miles City): 234-0900
- FWP Headquarters (Helena): 444-2535
FWP regional and headquarters offices remain open, but visitors will be required to follow protocol to reduce the risk of exposure to and spread of COVID-19. These protocols include:
- Entry to the lobby is limited and monitored by an FWP staff member.
- Visitors must wait outside until notified by FWP staff to enter.
- No cash will be accepted, only checks and credit or debit cards.
- The April 1 deadline for deer and elk, the May 1 deadline for moose, sheep, goat and bison, and the June 1 deadline for Elk B, Deer B, and antelope will remain in effect. These deadlines are set in statute.
- Please check with your local FWP office for hours of operation.