Colorado Springs contemplate the idea of an urban hunting program

Colorado Springs Mule Deer

Urban deer populations are booming in Colorado Springs, resulting in a controversial proposal that would allow urban hunters to help remove problem deer. Council members have met with Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Area Wildlife Manager Frank McGee to discuss the possibility of establishing an urban hunting program similar to what rural Colorado communities use or bringing in sharpshooters to thin the herds, the Denver Post reports.

However, it’s not an idea that all residents support.

“I cannot imagine allowing firearms in the city limits. People can’t just be going around and be like, ‘Oops, I missed, I hit your windows.’ That’s ridiculous,” longtime Colorado Springs resident and animal rights supporter Diane Freed told the Denver Post. “Same with bow and arrows. People love excuses. ‘Oh, I was aiming for that deer when I hit your car.’ I mean, come on.”

Continued below

goHUNT Gear Shop

Those in favor of the urban deer plan argue that it would decrease deer-vehicle collisions. 7,706 deer were hit in 2016, according to the Denver Post. And, as goHUNT previously reported, CPW also created an emergency feeding program to drive mule deer and elk away from busy roads.  Yet, the proposal goes against other projects across the state aimed at boosting floundering mule deer populations. Even CPW’s controversial decision to move forward with its predator control project is in place to help mule deer fawn survival.

The urban deer proposal is currently waiting for city approval.

Steve L. - posted 4 months ago on 07-31-2017 08:32:55 am

I live just outside Madison, WI and we have urban archery-only deer hunts by special draw permit in select county parks. It's fantastic hunting on some big chunks of ground that have nice deer populations. They're tough hunts, but a lot of fun!

Kevin L. - posted 4 months ago on 07-29-2017 05:10:14 pm

Why not tranquilize them and then transport to non-urban areas so shrinking heards can be boosted and better quality hunting opportunity increased?

aj_1
AJ M. - posted 4 months ago on 07-29-2017 09:17:55 am
West LInn, OR

Granted I don't live there but I think this is an interesting idea. I agree with Frank, in that it should be an archery only and perhaps they take it one step further and consider making it a traditional or re-curve only hunt. Either way , i'm very interested to see what the City comes up with.

Lance V. - posted 4 months ago on 07-28-2017 09:33:22 pm
Coeur D Alene, ID

Diane Freed...could they have possibly quoted a bigger lib moron?

Frank_Anderson
Frank A. - posted 4 months ago on 07-28-2017 04:37:31 pm
Castle Rock, CO

I am all for this. Make it an archery only hunt and have all who apply shoot a known distance and unknown distance qualification course. Perhaps make it a weekday only hunt so folks can have their weekends in the park, etc.

Frank_Anderson