Colorado changes license program for elk

Colorado changes license program for elk

Photo credit: Thinkstock

Interested in bowhunting elk in southwest Colorado? Now you’ll have to apply thanks to a recent change that affects how elk licenses for specific Game Management Units (GMU) are obtained, The Durango Herald reports.

The new requirement is a result of a decrease in elk numbers and concerns “that there were too many bowhunters in the field,” according to The Durango Herald. The licensing change affects GMUs 70-75, 77-78, 711, 741, 751 and 771

Footwear now live at goHUNT

To apply, first, you will have to pick a specific GMU or group of GMUs. Licenses will be broken down by unit into limited bull, cow and private-land-only either-sex licenses. Applications can be submitted March 1 through April 7 through the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) website.

In addition to this licensing change, CPW is holding a public meeting to discuss elk herd management in the Durango area today at 6:30 p.m. at La Plata County Fairgrounds. If you would like to weigh in on the issue, but can’t attend the meeting, you can fill out this online survey by Feb. 25.

Hugh M. - posted 1 month ago on 02-17-2020 02:52:10 pm
Grand Junction

I would like to see them eliminate the late cow hunts, or at least reduce the tags. Also, if they are going to make archery draw only then do the same thing for the 2nd and 3rd rifle hunts down in those units. I hate seeing everything go to a draw but I don't think the elk hunters are doing that much damage during the archery hunts.

Kevin H. - posted 1 month ago on 02-16-2020 11:39:23 am
Springfield, OR

Yup, just another screwing of the bow hunters! Our success rates are SO HIGH they now have to limit the number of bow hunters in specific units to counteract ALL those elk that we kill... YA BULL&Y%T!

Jeff R. - posted 1 month ago on 02-16-2020 10:59:27 am

Colorado has been the go to state for NR to hunt elk for ever due to the endless opportunities. With that said, everything changes. A full draw system is probably needed. Just remember that NR’s bring a lot of money into Colorado annually so don’t kill your golden goose.

Tyson C. - posted 1 month ago on 02-15-2020 05:53:41 pm
Lincoln, NH

Increase resident tag fees.

Arron J. - posted 1 month ago on 02-15-2020 03:15:33 pm

Over 1/3 of Colorados Boone & Crockett elk entries have been taken in the last 10 years. The herd is holding steady at just under 300k. Things are not all doom and gloom in CO. There's also no evidence to support that NRs are out of control or unethical hunters. Most of the poaching reports I read are locals. NR hunters are not the boogeyman there being made to be by a few individuals on GoHunt. NRs add a lot to western economies and fund a large majority of CPW's budget (along with other western states F&W management depts). It's a good relationship for all involved. I support CPW's recommendations and think we should let the professionals do their job instead of rumors and opinions.

David S. - posted 1 month ago on 02-15-2020 07:04:51 am

I am a NR but lived in Colorado for 15 yrs. Colorado needs to go to a 100% draw for all big game. AZ has some of the best hunting in the country. I don't hunt Colo any more. Too many out of staters that have no hunting ethics at all. Maybe one day. I will try again.

Charles L. - posted 1 month ago on 02-14-2020 04:10:25 pm

It will be 100% draw odds with leftovers. 2nd and 3rd season should be draw but we will have to wait 5 years for them to change that. As for the comment if CPW “not being stupid” that’s inaccurate. CPW is a joke and has been since it changed from the DOW. The hunting Ahmad deteriorated and now the hunt dates for deer should pretty much destroy that.

Richard D. - posted 1 month ago on 02-14-2020 03:10:49 pm

This was needed. I live in Unit 70 and it has been way to crowded.

Daniel L. - posted 1 month ago on 02-14-2020 10:18:39 am

email sent

BRETT S. - posted 1 month ago on 02-14-2020 07:38:42 am

I'd be happy to help you out. Shoot me an email brettshaff@windstream.net
Unless you want it broadcast on here?

Daniel L. - posted 1 month ago on 02-14-2020 05:51:11 am

Brett - I'm focusing on black bear during archery season this year. Would love to gain some insight on unit 70.

BRETT S. - posted 1 month ago on 02-14-2020 05:30:10 am

I completely understand residents of Colorado wanting to reduce the NR hunting pressure. As a non res myself I wouldn't blame them one bit if they went 100% draw for elk. It would reduce pressure, ease point creep for some mid tier units and CPW would have a better handle on elk harvest and high pressured areas.

Having hunted in the San Juans several times there's no doubt in my mind that bear are the biggest problem with calf survival. I'm sure lions and yotes are an issue too but I've never seen so many bear in my life. Averaged 3 bear per day for 7-8 days of hunting around Lone Cone last year. If they really want to help the elk then first and foremost is better predator control then a reduction in ALL tags, not just archery.

Arron J. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 03:39:00 pm

Let's trust CPW on this. I do feel CPW needs to better communicate its predator management plan with cuts to archery tags.

reecemesserly
Reece M. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 02:06:38 pm
Somewhere, AZ

Good for Colorado. That place is way too crowded.

reecemesserly
Reece M. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 02:06:38 pm
Somewhere, AZ

Good for Colorado. That place is way too crowded.

Gary H. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 01:56:32 pm

Another resident on the screw NR bandwagon I see. I knew they would come to the rescue on this topic.

Mike R. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 01:44:47 pm
Colorado

Why are they rolling this out when the surveys are not due until February 25th? The surveys purpose is to collect data in order to help make a decision....

Very valid point by Brett S- why just archery if the purpose is to protect elk??

Why is there no mention of predator management as well? Everyone knows what the black bear population is out of control in the San Juans.

I live in these units, I believe the elk to be declining, yes it is overcrowded during archery season, mostly because of non residents. Apply this plan to them first like Montana, Wyoming etc etc

BRETT S. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 11:57:27 am

CPW is NOT stupid. They made money hand over fist last year with the new qualifying license system(Everyone who APPLIES for a hunt must buy a $91.75 hunting license/habitat stamp now). They will know how many applied for each unit before they set the quota. I'd be willing to bet they come up with most if not all tags for everyone who applied. Colorado will be a full draw state in the next several years. What ticks me off is CPW said it's because of a decrease in elk numbers........yet 2nd and 3rd season rifle are still OTC? Archery hunters kill a small fraction of what 2nd and 3rd season rifle hunters will kill.

drlstripeing74
david l. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 10:11:07 am
cortez colorado

is there any word yet on what the tag quota is gonna be for those units?

Ron J. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 09:07:35 am
Denver, CO

I agree with Gary H. I think after they see the mess this causes with people moving around to other OTC units we will see all Archery be draw within a few years. Sadly the crowding issues in Colorado have gotten extreme the last decade.

Gary H. - posted 1 month ago on 02-13-2020 08:40:46 am

The new requirement is a result of a decrease in elk numbers and concerns “that there were too many bow-hunters in the field,”

EVERY unit is this way in Archery season. Its cutthroat bow-hunter eat bow-hunter in ALL OTC units.

I would be shocked if they didn't make it draw for all units within 2 years once they see how well people like the draw in these units due to the lack of OTC pressure.