2018 Montana deer and elk draw results postponed a week

Montana draw results delay for deer and elk

According to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Facebook page this morning, the 2018 draw results for deer and elk are delayed until next week. The draw typically happens this week, but with the delay, the drawing will now happen the week of April 23 and conclude on April 25. I called FWP this morning to confirm this and was told that this delay also includes the nonresident combo licenses.

Typically, this is the week when everyone is excited to see their Montana results. Last year the nonresident general combo license result date was April 18 and the deer and elk permit results for residents and nonresidents was April 20.

Reasons for the delay are:

• Licensing folks are still reconciling data from applications.
  • FWP still needs to run a mock drawing to ensure the system is operating smoothly. This will happen toward the end of this week.
  • The agency wants to run the drawing at a time when staff is available to answer questions from the public about the drawing or the new MyFWP portal.
  • It is critical for FWP to do everything in its power to have a mistake-free drawing, and this extra time will allow for that.

I will keep you updated as I hear more information.

goHUNT's INSIDER Research Tools

Shawn C. - posted 3 months ago on 04-25-2018 12:54:28 pm

Brady thanks for looking into that. I tried a couple times to call in about the wording but didn’t get thru yesterday. Initially thinking I applied wrong as I did not apply for special permit. Thanks again!

Brady Miller
Brady M. - posted 3 months ago on 04-25-2018 11:32:48 am
goHUNT Team

@Shawn - I just got off the phone with Montana. Turns out the "released" just means that you didn't draw in the initial round, but you did draw when they considered the applicants who turned their license back in after not drawing the special draw permit. It seems to be a new wording they are using as I have never seen that in all my years of applying in Montana.

Brady Miller
Brady M. - posted 3 months ago on 04-24-2018 10:12:24 am
goHUNT Team

Hey Shawn. I think I can help some here to interpret their results. I think what you are referring to is that you have a 2018 General Elk Combo and that it is retained... meaning you did not draw your special draw permit but you elected when you applied to retain the general elk tag if you don't draw the permit.

My brothers results are similar to yours. He didn't draw an elk or deer special permit, but he retained his deer combo from when he applied for the Big Game Combo. So down under not successful it say he didn't draw his 2018 General - Big Game Combo. But he still has a deer tag.

Hope that clears it up some.

Shawn C. - posted 3 months ago on 04-24-2018 04:43:49 am

So I checked my account this morning and it said elk successful realeased? Then under list same license unsuccessful but doesn’t say released. So am I a winner? This state needs to stream line there system. Lol

Mark B. - posted 4 months ago on 04-20-2018 11:52:04 am

My guess is they ran the draw last week and had some issues. Something did not look right so a mock draw this week. The drawing is usually ran the week prior to announcing the results.

Mark B. - posted 4 months ago on 04-20-2018 11:21:58 am

Joe S. - posted 4 months ago on 04-18-2018 03:56:27 pm

New Mexico results are out today.

john f. - posted 4 months ago on 04-17-2018 12:16:53 pm

Thanks Brady

I like the pre-suffering plan they have, really preps you for the inevitable let down of not drawing.

Brady Miller
Brady M. - posted 4 months ago on 04-17-2018 12:10:58 pm
goHUNT Team

@John - I think they are now sticking to the 25th like they stated in their regs... probably due to so many people on social media posting about the results came out early last year, so it should come out early in 2018 too. So maybe this is their way to make us all suffer.

john f. - posted 4 months ago on 04-17-2018 11:53:44 am

what about new mexico ? are they sticking to the 25th ?

they are slowly killing me over here.

RUSS H. - posted 4 months ago on 04-17-2018 11:40:15 am