New for 2020: Colorado limited license "Secondary Draw" replaces the leftover draw
New for 2020, Colorado has implemented a "Secondary Draw." I was going through the 2020 regulations after they came out this week and this change instantly caught my eye. This secondary draw replaces the leftover draw that everyone has been used to in previous years and is now open to everyone, regardless if you applied for the primary draw. It includes the remaining limited licenses with quota from the primary draw for deer, elk, antelope and bear. The list of hunt codes that are eligible for the secondary draw will be posted on June 5 online. Once that list becomes available, we will let everyone know.
Secondary draw important dates
- Second Draw applications accepted: June 5 through July 7 by 8 p.m. MT
- Application and correction dates: July 7 by 8 p.m. MT
- Draw results available online: July 17
- Payment deadline: July 29
Applications for both the primary and secondary draws are only available online or by phone.
Once the draw opens, apply online below:
This new draw allows every hunter the opportunity "skip waiting in line" and have the opportunity to pick up a license before they go on sale to the public on leftover day! Special note: This draw is open to all applicants, whether you applied for the primary draw or not. According to Colorado Parks and Wildlife, if you draw a license in the primary draw, you can still apply for the secondary draw. NOTE: "Unsuccessful options" have been removed for the draw application process.
Worth noting: Youth ages 12–17 receive priority for all licenses in this draw.
- You must have a qualifying license in order to apply for this draw. See more info below.
- The $7 resident and $9 nonresident application fees will apply for this draw.
2020 qualifying licenses are:
- Annual resident and nonresident small game
- Annual resident combo small game/fishing
- NEW annual resident senior combo small game/fishing
- Annual resident and nonresident spring turkey
- resident veteran lifetime combo small game/fishing
- NEW resident first responder lifetime combo small game/fishing
Will preference points be used or gained in the second draw?
The new secondary draw does not use preference points, and you cannot apply for them.
Other important Colorado dates
Colorado leftover day
- Any licenses remaining after the secondary draw (except for Ranching for Wildlife licenses) will be placed on the leftover list and available for purchase starting August 4 at 9 a.m.
OTC purchase day
- Over-the-counter unlimited licenses will be available for purchase starting August 6 at 9 a.m.
- These licenses are available in person at sales agents, by phone at 1-800-244-5613 or online: cpw.state.co.us (click "Buy and Apply"). After the season starts, they are available at CPW locations only — except for OTC archery elk, OTC plains rifle either-sex elk and OTC archery antelope licenses, which can be purchased at any sales agent.
Reissued licenses will be available on the leftover list. Any additional reissued hunt codes that are not on the initial list will be added starting August 11. Hunt codes will continue to release Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., until the end of the season.