Shelterpalooza — Overview of 2 person freestanding tents
In the video above and in the article is an overview of some of our favorite two-person freestanding tents. Be sure to check out the video for an indepth look at each shelter.
- Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 2-Person Solution Dye Tent
- Hilleberg Allak 2-Person Tent
- MSR Hubba Hubba 2-Person Tent
- Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2-person Tent
Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 2-Person Solution Dye Tent
Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 2 Solution Dye Tent Specs
|Weight||2 lbs 8 oz|
2 lbs 3 oz (min weight)
|Packed Size||5.5" x 18"|
|Vestibule Space||8 sq ft / 8 sq ft|
|Floor Space||28 sq ft|
|Max Inside Width||52" - 42"|
|Max Inside Length||86"|
|Poles||DAC Featherlite NFL|
|Body Material||Solution-dyed fabric nylon and polyester mesh|
|Rainfly Material||Fly and floor: solution-dyed water-repellent silicone|
treated nylon ripstop with a 1200mm water-resistant, polyurethane coating
|Warranty||Manufacturer or material defects|
- Ultralight and very packable - great for early-season hunts .
- Easy to pitch color-coded fly ends.
- Has internal storage.
- I-beam construction lightweight dirt dagger stakes.
- Lots of mesh coverage to maximize airflow, and has higher fabric on side wall which can help reduce dust coming in.
- Solution-dyed fabric is highly resistant to UV fade and drastically reduces energy consumption and water use during manufacturing, a process that is better for the environment and improves the quality of the tent fabric - saves a lot of water in the process of making the fabric.
- Waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane taped seams.
- Single pole architecture using DAC Featherlite materials creates a simple yet strong and sturdy structure you can rely on through multi-day trips.
- Door zippers come to a point vs. round which should help the longevity of the zippers and so you always know where to open the door, even in the dark.
- Storm flaps have vestibule zippers.
- Keep the fly tight so it doesn’t sag when wet.
- It can be ran in fast fly mode with a foot print and fly and poles.
Hilleberg Allak 2-Person Tent
Hilleberg Allak 2 Specs
|Weight||7 lbs 4 oz|
6 lbs 2 oz (min weight)
|Vestibule Space||9.7 sq ft + 9.7 sq ft|
|Floor Space||301. sq ft|
|Max Inside Width||47"|
|Max Inside Length||90"|
|Poles||9mm DAC NSL|
|Body Material||Kerlon 1200|
|Warranty||Lifetime - Manufacturer or material defects|
- Hilleberg owns their factory, and they see through the quality through and through.
- The Allak is one of the most robust tents in their lineup.
- Has covered vents high up.
- The inner and outer liners are separable, you could use half of it while processing an animal.
- Dome construction with multiple poles makes this tent sturdy and able to withstand harsh environments.
- Designed for any season and weather conditions, making it suitable for any backcountry hunter.
- The outer tent goes all the way to the ground for awesome all-weather protection.
- This tent can withstand extreme conditions, and since it is freestanding, you don't have to worry about rocky or sandy terrain making it impossible to set up.
- This tent is part of Hilleberg's Red Label Series. Red Label tents are designed to maximize lightweight while still retaining appropriate strength, ease of use, and comfort in all condition.
- Zippers have a lock option, so they stay shut in the wind.
- The tub design isn’t too tight with the open door, which is nice when you want to stretch your legs.
- Lots of ventilation on the doors.
- Loops in the ceiling allow you to string a close line.
- Room to cook in the vestibule.
MSR Hubba Hubba 2-Person Tent
MSR Hubba Hubba 2 Specs
|Weight||3 lbs 4 oz|
2 lbs 14 oz (min weight)
|Packed Size||18.1" x 4.3"|
|Floor Space||29 sq ft|
|Vestibule Space||15 sq ft|
|Max Inside Width||50"|
|Max Inside Length||84"|
|Poles||Easton Syclone Poles - Advanced aerospace composite materials|
|Body Material||10D polyester micro-mesh, 20D ripstop nylon with DWR fabric,|
and 20D ripstop nylon floor with 1200mm DuraShield polyurethane and DWR coating
|Rainfly Material||20D ripstop nylon with 1200mm DuraShield polyurethane and silicone coating|
- Hubba Hubba has been around for years - this is the most current version of it, and it’s lighter than it’s ever been before.
- Easy set up - feels like a more rugged and durable and less delicate tent.
- Entry on the vestibule is on the side vs. centered.
- With the crossbar, it gives you vertical walls and good head space.
- Tension levers on each corner.
- The Fly can go over half of the shelter only if you want.
- Bag end makes it easy to pull out of the bag.
- True rectangle design so you don’t have sleeping pad overlap .
- Virtually unbreakable Easton Syclone poles, a DuraShield waterproof coating, and taped seams keep the Hubba stable and dry so you can ride out the weather in comfort.
- Easy in-and-out vestibule doors feature StayDry rain gutters to keep running water off you and your gear, while kickstand vents maximize airflow.
- New tech-friendly pockets feature cable ports at the corners for headphones and charging cords.
- Overhead gear loft pockets are perfect for headlamps, sunglasses and other quick-access items.
- No-curve tent doors feature zippers that are easy to use with one hand.
- They close to a single point, so you always know where to open the door, even in the dark.
Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2 Tent
Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2 Tent Specs
|Weight||4 lbs 12.8 oz|
4 lbs 3 oz (min weight)
|Packed Size||14" x 6"|
|Vestibule Area||11 sq ft + 11 sq ft|
|Floor Space||32 sq ft|
|Max Inside Width||50"|
|Max Inside Length||92 1/4"|
|Poles||3 DAC 10.65mm PL made from TH72M aluminum alloy|
|Material||Body Fabric: 15D Nylon Ripstop|
Door Mesh Fabric: 15D Nylon No-See-Um Mesh
Floor Fabric: 20D Nylon Ripstop Silicone PE Coated
Rainfly Fabric: 15D Nylon Ripstop Silicone PU Coated
- A rugged four-season option for any backcountry hunter.
- Designed to be set up in all weather conditions.
- It can be used in multiple modes:
- With WebTruss - full 4-season set up
- Without WebTruss - comes with attachment pieces
- Fly with tub footprint and trekking poles
- Fast and light with a flat footprint and trekking poles
- Packed weight of 4 lbs 12.8 oz makes it a good option for one or split the weight between two.
- Two mesh window vents on doors, one through-vent in end wall with mesh and ripstop layers, two flysheet kickstand vents.
- innovative WebTruss technology. This unique construction system provides unmatched strength, a low wind profile, and makes pitching the tent a breeze.
- You can use trekking poles to support the frame.
- Eight internal pockets.
This is a continuation of our Shelterpalooza content. For more information, you can check out a full breakdown on four person tipi-style shelters here. If you’re thinking about a new shelter or looking for shelter tips, you can also check out our BIG HUNT GUYS Shelterpalooza podcast episode to hear Trail, Brady and Lorenzo dive into everything shelters. From early season tarp and freestanding setups, to late season tipi and freestanding shelter options.