Quick look at some Montana spring black bear changes
Attention Montana hunters: black bear season starts on April 15, but there are a few changes you need to be aware of before you head out to hunt. Here’s the breakdown, per Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks (MTFWP):
- If you harvest a black bear, you must report it within 48 hours.
- Region 6 is new for 2022.
- Region 1 hunters are required to submit one premolar tooth from any black bear harvested within 10 days of the harvest. That means you only have to submit the tooth – you don’t have to have your bear inspected and tagged by a MTFWP staff member. Click here on how to submit a tooth.
- Dogs are not allowed for spring black bear hunting in some areas. Click here for more information.
- You cannot harvest black bear cubs less than one year old or harvest a female black bear with cubs.