ALERT: Utah bill introduced to ban big game baiting and regulate trail camera use
There are a lot of bills that have shown up in the past few weeks. A new one that just popped up on February 2 is HB 295 in Utah that was introduced by Casey Snider. See the full text of the bill here.
There are two areas that big game hunters will be most interested in.
HB 295 summary
- Prohibits the use of trail cameras at certain times and with certain exceptions
- Prohibits big game baiting
23-13-20. Trail cameras.
According to the bill,
(2) Except as provided in Subsection (3), it is unlawful for a person to place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device: (a) at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year; (b) at any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device wirelessly transmits or is capable of wirelessly transmitting images, videos, or location data of wildlife; or (c) at any time, if the placement, maintenance, or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source, or artificial basin that collects water or is designed and constructed to collect water.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to:
(a) a person who is acting within the scope of the person's official duties if:
(i) the person is an employee or authorized agent of the state, a political subdivision of the state, or the federal government; and
(ii) the person clearly marks each trail camera or similar device to indicate ownership;
(b) a person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera or similar device with the division's approval; or
(c) a person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera on private property with the landowner's permission.
23-16-11. Big game baiting prohibited.
(1) As used in this section:
(a) (i) "Bait" means intentionally placing food or nutrient substances to manipulate the behavior of wildlife for the purpose of taking or attempting to take big game.
(ii) "Bait" does not include:
(A) the use of a chemical as an attractant or mask; or
(B) the use of salt, mineral blocks, or other commonly used types of livestock substances for normal agricultural purposes.
(b) "Baited area" means all land within a 50-yard radius of the site where bait is placed, including the site where bait is placed.
(2) Unless authorized by a certificate of registration, it is unlawful to:
(a) bait big game between August 1 and January 31 of each year;
(b) take big game in a baited area; or
(c) take big game that has been lured to or is traveling from a baited area.
(3) The division may issue a certificate of registration to allow for the baiting of big game if the division determines that baiting is necessary to alleviate substantial big game depredation on cultivated crops.
What can you do?
Submit your thoughts on this Utah bill to Casey Snider who introduced the bill at email@example.com, also the contact information for the House Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment Committee and the Utah Wildlife Board can be found below.
Contact Information For HB 295
Utah House Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment Committee Contact Information
|Keven Stratton (R)||Chairfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Casey Snider (R)||Vice Chairemail@example.com|
|Carl Albrecht (R)||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Gay Lynn Bennion (D)||Memberemail@example.com|
|Joel Briscoe (D)||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Scott Chew (R)||Memberemail@example.com|
|Stephen Handy (R)||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Timothy Hawkes (R)||Memberemail@example.com|
|Michael Kohler (R)||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Phil Lyman (R)||Memberemail@example.com|
|Douglas Sagers (R)||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Micke Schultz (R)||Memberemail@example.com|
|Rex Shipp (R)||Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Christine Watkins (R)||Memberemail@example.com|
Copy and paste section for Utah House Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment Committee:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
Utah Wildlife Board Contact Information
|Byron Bateman - Chair||Northern Regionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kevin Albrecht - Vice Chair||Southeastern Regionemail@example.com|
|Rory Reynolds - Executive Secretary||Interim DWR Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Staci Coons||Board Liaisonemail@example.com|
|Karl Hirst||Central Regionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Donnie Hunter||Southern Regionemail@example.com|
|Wade Heaton||Southern Regionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Randy Dearth||Northeastern Regionemail@example.com|
|Bret Selman||Northern Regionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Copy and paste section for Utah Wildlife Board:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,