2021 post draw data from Colorado's Secondary Draw now available
Colorado Parks and Wildlife released data reports this week covering the details of the 2021 Secondary Draw. In total, 10,143 tags were made available through the secondary draw. 2020 was the first year of the Secondary Draw but this is the first time the state has provided post draw data.
2021 Colorado Secondary Draw breakdown by applicant type for deer hunts
As a quick refresher, rules for the Secondary draw are somewhat different from the primary draw:
- You do not have to have applied in the primary draw to be eligible to apply in the secondary draw
- A qualifying license is required to apply
- You cannot use or apply for preference points during the secondary draw
- You cannot apply as a group in the secondary draw
- Youth hunters receive 100% preference for all tags
The bigger kicker for draw odds on most of the secondary draw hunts is found within the 100% youth preference. Under this ruling, youth will receive any and all tags ahead of adult applicants. Not a big deal, we love seeing the youth involved, but it is important to keep this in mind for future applications as hunts with low tag availability can see the odds greatly impacted by just one youth applicant.