2023 Montana nonresident combination license Alternate List signup
If you didn’t draw a nonresident big game combination, deer combination or elk combination license in Montana and are looking for another option to hunt this state in 2023, then the nonresident Alternate List is your last hope!
You can research all of the general deer and elk opportunities in Montana on our Filtering 2.0 tool.
What is Montana's nonresident Alternate List?
Each year, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks receives a number of unused nonresident combination licenses (big game, general elk and general deer combination) that are returned. Montana then offers up a chance at these returned licenses through their Alternate List.
You can select your choice of different nonresident combination licenses (big game combination, general elk or general deer). Note: you can only select one license option for the Alternate List. Then, once the list is randomized and if a license becomes available, the hunter at the top of the list will be contacted to finalize the purchase of the license.
- Sign up for the Alternate List from May 15 through June 30, 2023 by 11:45 p.m. MT. You can sign up here on your MyFWP account.
- Permit (special draw) licenses are not part of the alternate list - this is for general combination (big game combo, elk combo or deer combo) only.
- When filling out your alternate list application, the day you register does not matter. You can register early or you can register the last day and it will not impact your odds of being selected.
- Payment for the license fee is not required at the time you sign up for the Alternate List.
- If your name is selected, you will be emailed with instructions on how to complete the purchase of the license.
- Note: Drawing a tag or being on the list has no effect on your existing nonresident preference points.
- Party (group) applications are not accepted for the alternate list.
- If you and a friend both want a tag, you would each have to sign up individually and hope your number is close to each other after they are randomized and that both of you get offered a tag if they become available.
- To apply for the alternate list, you did not have to apply in the 2023 general draw. Any nonresident can sign up.
- The Alternate List will be randomized in mid-July, then you can log in to your MyFWP account check out your number on the list.
- Once the list is randomized and a license becomes available, the hunter at the top of the list will be contacted to finalize the purchase of the license.
HOW TO SIGN UP
For 2023, you can sign up for the Alternate List from May 15 through June 30 by 11:45 p.m. MT on your MyFWP account by clicking the link below and then logging in.
Each hunter may only register for one combination license list (big game combination, general elk or general deer), and is not eligible to purchase more than one nonresident combination license a year.
Once you are logged in, click on "MyFWP Information" then click “View my Information.”
Next, scroll down to the "Combination License Alternate List and Surplus License Lists" tab and click on it.
Select the type of combination license alternate list you want to register for.
You'll then see an area called, "Register for Alternate and Surplus Lists." This is where you'll be able to make one selection.
Once the alternate list application deadline has closed on June 30, 2023, the list will be randomized to determine each hunter’s prioritization on these lists. Then roughly in mid-July, you can start to track your number status by logging in to your MyFWP page.
When a license becomes available, the hunter with the lowest randomized number on the list will be emailed to finalize the purchase of the license, and so on until the returned nonresident combo licenses are eventually exhausted.
The odds of getting a license can change throughout the season. Hunters turning back in their tags for a refund and the state reissuing these deer combo licenses may occur at any time, but the volume of returned licenses normally increases before the general rifle hunting season kicks off in late October.
Best of luck in 2023!