Become an Insider member to gain access to this article,
plus all of GOHUNT's research and mapping tools.
Already have an Account? Log in
2022 Colorado leftover hunting license list
Yesterday, the 2022 Colorado leftover tag preview list became available! Which is huge news for people looking to pick up a tag for this season. These licenses will go on sale Tuesday, August 2 at 9:00 a.m. (MDT).
You can access the leftover tag list here. Also, remember that over-the-counter (OTC) licenses will also be available to purchase on August 2.
All leftover licenses will be available for purchase online, and by phone at 1-800-244-5613, or in person at any CPW offices, and license retailers on Tuesday, August 2 at 9:00 a.m. (MDT). You will not lose your points if you pick up a tag on the leftover list.
And again, just like I do every year, to make things easier, I uploaded the original 2022 leftover list document for future use here. This can be useful for tracking trends in what tags made it through as a leftover as the document from Colorado will change as tags are picked up. So if at some point you want to see the original list, you can just come back to this article at any time and click the button below to download the list as of July 28, 2022.
Access original 2022 here for future reference
These 2022 leftover tags are available after the main draw and the secondary draw. There also could be some reissued licenses if they were returned before August 2.
Basically, this is how tags get on this list:
- Limited licenses leftover after the primary and secondary draws for elk, deer, antelope, and bear
- Limited elk, deer, antelope, and bear licenses that someone drew but did not pay for during the secondary draw and took fewer than five resident preference points
- Limited licenses that were returned for refund/preference point restoration since the opening of the secondary draw but prior to July 25 and took fewer than five resident preference points to draw
For the leftover tag list, remember that you can begin your research now for the leftover tag you might want to pick up by using Filtering 2.0, and Draw Odds to determine the popularity of the leftover tags (certain units in the leftover draw are highly coveted and will most likely be picked over fast), and you can even use our Application Strategy articles for further research.
Note: A qualifying license is not required to purchase a leftover limited license, reissued license or an over-the-counter license.
Tips for picking up a 2022 leftover license in Colorado
A quick screenshot of a sample of the Colorado limited hunting license leftover list for 2022. See the full list here.
It is very important to have an active account set up and be familiar with how to purchase a license before the start of the leftover day. This is extremely important because certain tags will be picked up fast and lots of tags will sell out within the first few minutes. This is why for all these leftover tag sales, I fully ensure I can log in to my account well ahead of time and all my information is ready to go. There is nothing worse than not remembering your password and running into issues on a leftover day.
Be prepared for the leftover day by completing the following checklist before purchases begin on Tuesday, August 2 at 9:00 a.m (MDT).
1. VALIDATE OR CREATE YOUR CUSTOMER ACCOUNT
- If you are an existing customer, log in to CPWshop.com to confirm that you can access your account. If you forgot your password, have a new one sent to you.
- Have your CID, hunter ed and credit card info validated in the system
- If you are unsure whether or not you are a customer with an account, use LOOK UP to see if you have an existing account. Caution: Do not create multiple accounts. Purchasing licenses with multiple accounts could potentially invalidate your sale.
- If you are a new customer you need to create an account.
2. CONFIRM ACCOUNT DETAILS
- Check that your contact info is correct, including phone, email and mailing address. Note: You will need to enter your credit card information when you check out (VISA, MASTERCARD, OR DISCOVER)
- Your credit card on file will not be charged automatically
3. DON'T GO TOO FAR INTO THE ACCOUNT PROCESS!
Available licenses will go on sale at 9 a.m. You may log into CPWshop.com beginning at 8 a.m. to begin the purchase process. The system will reset at 8 a.m., meaning there is no advantage to logging in earlier. Customers who have logged in prior to 9 a.m. (but after 8 a.m.) can begin their purchase process but should not proceed beyond the residency page to hold their place in the queue. If you go further, you will moved to the back of the queue.
After purchasing begins at 9 a.m., when you enter a hunt code and confirm it, that hunt code is “held” for you in the cart for 15 minutes or until you process the transaction, whichever comes first. Note: If the time expires, another person can hold/purchase that hunt code.
There will be a timer in the upper left corner of your screen that will let you know how long you have to finish processing your transaction, as well as pop-ups with 5 minutes left and when the time has expired. If the time is allowed to expire, another customer can hold/purchase that hunt code. Note: you may still see the quota available on the leftover list, even if all the quota for that particular hunt code has already sold out. That is because the leftover list only updates every 5 - 10 minutes.
Remember, in Colorado, there is a military preference. Any active duty member of the United States Armed Forces stationed at any military facility in Colorado and actively deployed outside the United States, or any active duty member of the United States Armed Forces who is a Colorado resident and is deployed outside the United States, shall be allowed preference for the purchase of leftover licenses.
The Reissue Process
Just a reminder some reissued licenses will be available on the leftover list starting August 2 at 9 a.m.. Any additional reissued licenses that are not on the initial leftover list will be added starting August 10 at 11 a.m.. There will be a preview list available on August 9. The reissue preview list will be cleared after sales begin on Wednesday and will repopulate the following Tuesday. If there are no hunt codes available for reissue this week, the reissue preview list will get a blank report with the following message: “There are no reissued licenses scheduled for release this week.”
5 OR MORE PREFERENCE POINTS
Returned deer, elk, antelope and bear hunt codes that took 5 or more resident preference points to draw, in the current years draw, will be reissued to the next person in the draw order.
- These reissued licenses will require the use of preference points as per regulation if accepted.
- If one of the first 5 customers contacted, per returned license, do not accept it, the license will then be reissued utilizing the current leftover and leftover OTC with cap lists.
4 OR FEWER PREFERENCE POINTS
All other returned limited and over-the-counter (OTC) with caps licenses, excluding public Ranching for Wildlife, will be available to any of the public, who meet licensing and education requirements.
- These returned limited and OTC with caps licenses reissued utilizing the current leftover and leftover OTC with cap lists will NOT require the use of preference points.
- Limited and OTC with caps licenses will continue to be reissued as long as a sufficient number of licenses are returned or unsold.