2019 Montana surplus archery antelope licenses, plus antlerless deer and elk tag list
- 8/8/19 update: There are now 21 leftover either-sex antelope licenses available for HD 511-20.
As always, if you're looking to pick up an extra tag this fall... you have a few options, but you must act fast! These surplus licenses will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis starting on August 12, 2019 at 5 a.m. MDT for online purchases.
Important Montana Dates
- August 12 at 5 a.m. MDT you can purchase surplus 900-20 antelope, Deer B, Elk B, and Elk Permit Antlerless licenses online.
- August 8, general antelope and antelope B drawing results should be available.
- Additional antelope and Antelope B (doe/fawn) surplus will be added after the antelope drawing
Surplus licenses are ones that remain after the main draw. Note: The remaining licenses are sold on a first-come-first-served basis. Surplus licenses are available at FWP offices on August 12 at 8 a.m. and online sales will begin at 5 a.m. MDT here, also FWP license providers will have access to purchase the licenses too. You can find a list of license providers here.
- The updated list of available surplus licenses for deer and elk can be found here.
- Note: there are an additional 2,000 Deer B Region 7 antlerless whitetail (resident only) tags available.
These licenses and permits can be purchased online, over the counter or by downloading a paper application. It is highly recommended that you purchase them online or you might find yourself not getting a tag.
900-20 archery antelope surplus
For 2019, there are 520 leftover archery antelope tags. Holders of a 900 series archery only tag are allowed to hunt in every open hunt district throughout the state with the exception of HDs 215, 291 and 313. Additionally, those holding this tag can also begin hunting nearly three weeks before any of the other general tag archery hunts begin.
To start your research, you can quickly jump over to Filtering 2.0 and start to figure out what hunt district you'd like to hunt using a 900-20 tag. The link with the 900-20 options already selected for you can be found here.
Just like last year, the 900-20 antelope tags were drawn early, whereas, in the past, all antelope licenses were drawn at the same time. According to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks (FWP) this did not give biologists enough time to complete their antelope surveys and make changes to license numbers. Now, archery antelope hunters have more time to plan their hunts and biologist can properly conduct their surveys for the general antelope hunts.
Antlerless deer and elk surplus licenses
You can still purchase bonus points and nonresident preference points in Montana until September 30. You can purchase your points here.