2018 Colorado leftover hunting tag list
The 2018 Colorado leftover tag list is now available online as of July 25. You can access the leftover tag list here.
Remember that new for 2018, all leftover licenses will be available for purchase online, and by phone at 800-244-5613, or at any CPW offices, and license retailers on Tuesday, August 7 at 9:00 a.m (MDT). So if you want a tag, you'll have to be fast on the computer or phone!
For the leftover tag list, remember that you can begin your research now for the leftover tag you might want to pick up by using Filtering 2.0, and Draw Odds to determine the popularity of the leftover tags (certain units in the leftover draw are highly coveted and will most likely be picked over fast), and you can even use our Application Strategy articles for further research.
Tips for picking up leftover tags in Colorado
It is important to have an active account set up and be familiar with how to purchase a license before the start of the leftover day. This is extremely important because certain tags will be picked up fast and lots of tags will sell out within the first few minutes.
Be prepared for the leftover day by completing the following checklist before purchases begin on Tuesday, August 7 at 9:00 a.m (MDT). If you're looking to pick up a leftover tag at a local CPW office, it's best to check with them on their process and hours ahead of time.
1. Validate or create your customer account
- If you are an existing customer, log in to CPWshop.com to confirm that you can access your account. If you forgot your password, have a new one sent to you. If you're experiencing issues logging in to your account, you can call CPW at 303-297-1192 (M-F, 8am-5pm MT) or Aspira at 800-244-5613 (24/7) for assistance.
- If you are unsure whether or not you are a customer with an account, please use LOOK UP to see if you have an existing account. Caution: Do not create multiple accounts. Purchasing licenses with multiple accounts could potentially invalidate your sale.
- If you are a new customer (you have never used the CPW IPAWS site, purchased a CPW wildlife license, or do not have a Reserve America account), please create an account. If you are experiencing issues creating an account, please call CPW at 303-297-1192 (M-F, 8am-5pm MT) or Aspira at 800-244-5613 (24/7) for assistance.
2. Confirm account details
- Check that your contact info is correct, including phone, email and mailing address. Note: You will need to enter your credit card information when you check out (VISA, MASTERCARD OR DISCOVER).
- Your credit card on file will not be charged automatically.
According to the Colorado leftover page, any active duty member of the United States Armed Forces stationed at any military facility in Colorado and actively deployed outside the United States, or any active duty member of the United States Armed Forces who is a Colorado resident and is deployed outside the United States, shall be allowed preference for the purchase of leftover licenses.
The Reissue Process
Just a reminder that the reissue of big game limited licenses begins on August 14, 2018.
All of the returned licenses that take four or fewer preference points in the current years draw will be available for purchase the week after processing is complete. After the initial run, hunt codes will randomly be placed on the current leftover and leftover OTC with cap lists on business days from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
5 or more preference points
Returned deer, elk, pronghorn and bear hunt codes that took 5 or more resident preference points to draw, in the current years draw, will be reissued to the next person in the draw order.
- These reissued licenses will require the use of preference points as per regulation if accepted.
- If one of the first 5 customers contacted, per returned license, do not accept it, the license will then be reissued utilizing the current leftover and leftover OTC with cap lists.
4 or fewer preference points
All other returned limited and over-the-counter (OTC) with caps licenses, excluding public Ranching for Wildlife, will be available to any of the public, who meet licensing and education requirements.
- These returned limited and OTC with caps licenses reissued utilizing the current leftover and leftover OTC with cap lists will NOT require the use of preference points.
- Limited and OTC with caps licenses will continue to be reissued as long as a sufficient number of licenses are returned or unsold.