inSIGHTS: Arizona draw odds update
Starting with the application season of 2016, Arizona changed the way they run their draw process making the past draw odds calculations inaccurate. In the past, most high-demand tags that were issued to nonresidents occurred in the Bonus Pass. Now you might have a chance to pull a coveted tag in the Random Pass.
Arizona’s draw system has changed to the following
- Up to 10% of the tags are set aside for nonresidents (still the same percentage).
- The change will only allow up to 50% of the hunt permit-tags that are available to nonresidents to be issued in the Bonus Pass of the draw.
- Residents will now get 15% of the total tags in the Bonus Pass.
- Nonresidents will receive roughly 5% of the tags in the Random Draw (nonresidents may not draw their full 5% of the tags in the random because they are limited to “up to 10% total”).
- Technically, nonresidents could be limited to 5% of the total tags.
- High point holders will now have a chance in the Random Pass.
- Now all point levels have a chance at any hunt.
You can check out our Arizona State Profile for a more detailed breakdown of how the sheep and deer draw will go for 2016.
We have stated this before, but we do not show draw odds for Arizona in 2016 because of the change Arizona made to their draw process. The new change makes calculating draw odds for 2016 very blurry and to a very certain extent, misleading. The odds are definitely going to change this year, which makes the 2015 odds inaccurate and in our opinion, would just create confusion as to the likelihood of drawing a tag in Arizona. The last thing we would want to do as a company is take the easy way out and just say “we have 2016 AZ draw odds.” Instead, we will continue to dissect the new change and figure out how to give our INSIDER’s the most accurate draw odds in the industry. Thank you for being patient with us through this change.
goHUNT is 100% committed to transparency, accuracy and customer service, that’s why I will continue to tell you where we stand with our INSIDER product and what is going on within the walls of goHUNT headquarters. As much as we would love to have Arizona odds to give to our members this year, sadly we will just have to wait out this change to see how things play out in the new system. The good news is — we will have the most accurate odds available in Arizona before the 2017 application season.
We will have Oregon live on INSIDER during the fall of 2016. INSIDER members will have full access to Oregon Unit Profiles and Filtering 2.0. Stay tuned for updates on more enhancements we are rolling out with in the coming months.