Loading and firing a muzzleloading firearm safety checklist
The loading and firing a muzzleloading firearm is a pretty impressive sight. Before attempting this process yourself, make sure you have an experienced muzzleloader shooter around to show you first and answer any questions you might have.
- Always read the owner's manual for any firearm before taking it out to shoot.
- When loading, always ensure the firearm is pointed upward and away from your face and body.
- Use a stable rest for your firearm to prevent tipping.
- Check to see if the muzzleloader is loaded by inserting a pre-marked ramrod into the barrel.
- When the mark on the ramrod disappears into the barrel, the firearm is unloaded.
- You can now safely begin to load the firearm; make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions.